May 8th, 2018 | 8:30am - 6:00pm ET | Rideau Club, 99 Bank St, Ottawa, ON
Table of Contents
- Conference Report
- Conference Videos
- Conference Podcasts
- Conference Pictures
The 21st century is not progressing as expected. Conventional wisdom at the turn of the century was that the world would grow more peaceful and orderly. Globalization would advance democratization. Instead, the post-war rules-based international system that saw us through Cold War and its aftermath is now under strain. Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping prefer spheres of influence. Donald Trump puts America First.
Positioning Canada in the shifting world order will be the focus of a day-long conference hosted by the CGAI. Drawing together parliamentarians, senior civil servants, diplomats, business, students and civil society, it will look at these themes:
- Managing Canada’s International Interests
- Managing America First
- The China Challenge
- G7 Overview
- What do we want out of Charlevoix?
- What G7 partners want out Charlevoix?
- An Energy Superpower? Or Hamstrung by Social License and Provincial Bickering?
Conference Videos (courtesy of CPAC)
- Panel 1: Managing America First & The Trump Effect
- Foreign Affairs Deputy Minister Ian Shugart on Canada’s International Interests
- Panel 2: An Energy Superpower? Or Hamstrung by Social License and Provincial Bickering?
- Conversation with Minister Carr
- Canadian G7 Sherpa Peter Boehm Discusses Upcoming G7 Summit
- Panel 3: What do we want out of Charlevoix?
- Selling Canada Abroad: A Discussion with Dr. Ailish Campbell
- Panel 4: The China Challenge
- Panel 5: What G7 Partners want out of Charlevoix?
- Wrap-Up Conversation Between the Hon. Andrew Leslie, the Hon. Erin O’Toole, and Jeffrey Simpson
- Managing the United States & Donald Trump (Panel 1)
- Canada's Energy Future (Panel 2)
- Our Priorities for the 2018 G7 Summit (G7 Overview)
- What Canada Wants Out of Charlevoix (Panel 3)
- What Our G7 Partners Want Out of Charlevoix (Panel 5)
Panel 1: “Managing 'America First' and the Trump Effect”
Hon. Rona Ambrose, Hon. Jean Charest, and Peter Donolo moderated by Colin Robertson
Managing Canada’s International Interests Overview: Ian Shugart, Deputy Minister, Global Affairs Canada
Panel 2: “An Energy Superpower? Or Hamstrung by Social License & Provincial Bickering?”
Ian Brodie, Michael Cleland, and Monica Gattinger moderated by Kelly Ogle
Luncheon Address: Hon. Jim Carr, Minister of Natural Resources
G7 Overview: Peter Boehm, G7 Sherpa
Panel 3: “What Do We Want Out Of Charlevoix?”
Thomas d'Aquino, Dan Hays, and Janice MacKinnon moderated by Chris Waddell
Selling Canada Abroad Overview: Dr. Ailish Campbell, Chief Trade Commissioner
Panel 4: “The China Challenge”
VAdm (ret'd) Bruce Donaldson, Deanna Horton, Amy Karam, and Rob Wright moderated by Sarah Goldfeder
Panel 5: “What Do Our G7 Partners Want Out Of Charlevoix?”
H.E. Kimihiro Ishikane, H.E. Susan le Jeune d'Allegeershecque, Fabrizio Nava, H.E. Kareen Rispal, H.E. Sabine Sparwasser, and H.E. Peteris Ustubs moderated by Kathleen Monk
Panel 6: “Wrap-Up Conversation with MPs”
Hon. Andrew Leslie and Hon. Erin O'Toole moderated by Jeffrey Simpson
Be the first to comment
Sign in with