July 16, 2018
On today's 'Global Exchange' Podcast, we continue our series on positioning Canada in a shifting international order. Today's episode, recorded during our May 8th foreign policy conference in Ottawa, has Monica Gattinger, Michael Cleland, and Ian Brodie in conversation with CGAI President Kelly Ogle on the future of Canada as a major energy producer and exporter.
- Colin Robertson (host): A former Canadian diplomat, Colin Robertson is Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- Kelly Ogle (moderator): President & CEO of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- Monica Gattinger: Dr. Gattinger is the Director of the University of Ottawa’s Institute for Science, Society and Policy, Associate Professor at uOttawa’s School of Political Studies, and Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. She also chairs Positive Energy, a multi-year project that uses the convening power of the university to bring together industry, government, Indigenous groups, local communities, environmental NGOs and the academy to identify how to strengthen public confidence in energy decision-making in Canada.
- Michael Cleland: a private consultant with extensive experience in energy and environment policy. He is Senior Fellow with the University of Ottawa and a member of uOttawa’s Positive Energy research team’, Chair of the Board of Directors at the Canadian Energy Research Institute, a member of the Board of Directors of QUEST (Quality Urban Energy Systems of Tomorrow) and Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- Ian Brodie: From 2006 to 2008, Ian Brodie worked as the Chief of Staff for Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Prior to that role, he was Executive Director of the Conservative Party. After leaving government, Brodie moved into international and multi-lateral finance working as Strategic Advisor at the Inter-American Development Bank. He is now an associate professor of political science at the University of Calgary, a senior research fellow at the Centre for Military, Strategic and Security Studies, and a member of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute Advisory Council.
- "Positioning Canada in the Shifting International Order" (CGAI Conference Information)
- "Canada and the Shifting International Energy Order: Superpower, Climate Leader or Land of Myth?" by Michael Cleland (CGAI Policy Update)
- "A Value Proposition and Narrative for Energy and Climate in Canada" by Mike Cleland, Dave Collyer, John Dillon, Monica Gattinger and Ken Ogilvie (CGAI Policy Update)
- "CGAI Energy Series" (CGAI Paper Series)
- "Positive Energy" (University of Ottawa)
- "At the Centre of Government: The Prime Minister and the Limits on Political Power" by Ian Brodie
- Kelly Ogle: "Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, and One Man's Fight for Justice" by Bill Browder
- Monica Gattinger: "Go, Went, Gone" by Jenny Erpenbeck
- Michael Cleland: "How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World" by Steven Johnson
- Ian Brodie: "Operation Medusa: The Furious Battle That Saved Afghanistan from the Taliban" by MGen (ret'd) David Fraser