June 18, 2018
On today's Global Exchange Podcast, we turn our eyes to the Indo-Pacific, as we assess Canada's naval presence in the region, and the recent deployment of MV Asterix to take part in various multilateral exercises with Canada's Pacific allies. Join our host, Dave Perry, in conversation with CGAI Fellow Matthew Fisher, as they discuss Canada's naval presence around the Indo-Pacific, Chinese military build-up throughout the East and South China Seas, the successes of MV Asterix's recent deployment in the Pacific, and a future for the Canadian Navy in an increasingly militarized Pacific environment.
- Dave Perry (host): David Perry is the Senior Analyst and Vice President with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. He received his PhD in political science from Carleton University, where his dissertation examined the link between defence budgeting and defence procurement.
- Matthew Fisher: Matthew Fisher was born in northwestern Ontario and raised there and in the Ottawa Valley. He has lived and worked abroad for 34 years as a foreign correspondent for the Globe and Mail, Sun Media and Postmedia, and is a Fellow with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. His assignments have taken him to 162 countries. He has been an eyewitness to 19 conflicts including Somalia, the Rwandan genocide, Chechnya, the Balkan Wars, Israel in Gaza and Lebanon, the two Gulf Wars and Afghanistan.
- "Beware of the Dragon: The Challenges of China’s Assertive Posture" - by Matthew Fisher (CGAI Policy Update)
- "40 Years of ASEAN-Canada Partnership, and a Strategic Agenda for Tomorrow" by Venilla Rajaguru (CGAI Policy Update)
- "A World Larger Than Trump’s: China’s" - by Ferry de Kerckhove (CGAI Policy Paper)
- "South China Sea and the New Great Game" - by Marius Grinius (CGAI Policy Paper)
- Matthew Fisher: “Operation Medusa: The Furious Battle That Saved Afghanistan from the Taliban” by Major General David Fraser & Brian Hanington