February 18, 2022
On this episode of Defence Deconstructed, David Perry speaks to chair and member of the Independent Review Panel on Defence Acquisitions VAdm (ret’d) Larry Murray and Dr. Philippe Lagassé.
- Larry Murray is the Chair of the Independent Review Panel on Defence Acquisitions. During his career with the Canadian Armed Forces, he held several senior positions, including as Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff, Commander of Maritime Command, Vice Chief of the Defence Staff and, finally, Acting Chief of the Defence Staff from October 1996 until September 1997. Mr. Murray retired from the Canadian Armed Forces in 1997 and joined the Public Service as Associate Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Oceans. He was appointed Deputy Minister of Veterans Affairs Canada in 1999 and Deputy Minister of Fisheries and Oceans in 2003. He retired from the Public Service of Canada in 2007.
- Dr. Philippe Lagassé is associate professor and the William and Jeanie Barton Chair at the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs, Carleton University. He holds degrees from McGill University, Royal Military College of Canada, and Carleton University. He taught previously at the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, University of Ottawa. Dr. Lagassé’s research focuses on defence policy and military procurement, as well as legislative oversight of armed forces and executive power in the Westminster tradition.
- Dave Perry is President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
Learn more about the IRPDA and agile procurement:
- Independent Review Panel for Defence Acquisition’s Progress Report for 2019-2020
- Toward Agile Procurement for National Defence: Matching the Pace of Technological Change
What VAdm (ret’d) Murray and Dr. Lagassé are reading: