November 26, 2021
In this new episode of Defence Deconstructed, David Perry discusses the financial implications of continental defence modernization with retired Vice-Admirals Mark Norman and Darren Hawco, retired Colonel Dr. Ross Fetterly, and Dr. Binyam Solomon.
This episode was made possible thanks to the support of the Department of National Defence’s MINDS Program
Defence Deconstructed is brought to you by Irving Shipbuilding and Boeing.
Read Drs Fetterly and Solomon’s DRDC Report on Burden Sharing: "North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) Burden Sharing"
- Darren Hawco is a retired naval officer with 36 years of service to Canada. The youngest of four boys, Hawco was born in Montreal where he was fortunate enough to grow up in a loving home, attending local primary and secondary schools prior to joining the Canadian Armed Forces through enrollment in the College Militaire Royale de St-Jean (CMR) regular officer training program.
- Ross Fetterly retired in 2017 from the Canadian Forces after a 34-year career as the Royal Canadian Air Force’s director of air comptrollership and business management. He previously served as the military personnel command comptroller, and in other senior positions with the Department of National Defence Assistant Deputy Minister (Finance).
- A 39 year veteran of uniformed service to Canada, Mark Norman retired from the Royal Canadian Navy in the rank of Vice-Admiral in August of 2019 after a high-profile public legal challenge. He is now applying his energy and passion to new challenges. As a CGAI Fellow, Norman intends to explore naval strategy, maritime affairs, defence policy and procurement with particular interests in the Arctic and the South China Sea.
- Dr. Binyam Solomon is Senior Defence Scientist at Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC). He is also an Adjunct Research Professor at Carleton University. Previous appointments include Chief Economist, Department of National Defence and acting Chief Scientist at the Centre for Operational Research and Analysis (DRDC). He has published extensively in economics, statistics, and defence topics. His research interests include political economy, aspects of national security, peacekeeping economics, and time series methods. Dr. Solomon holds a PhD in Defence Economics from the University of York, United Kingdom.
- Dave Perry: Senior Analyst and Vice President with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.