September 19, 2016
On today's 'Global Exchange' Podcast, we have two foreign policy experts in conversation with Colin Robertson to discuss their contributions to our 'Foreign Policy Review' series. First, Colin speaks with Andrew McAlister, a former Canadian Ambassador to Tanzania and Madagascar, about the role of Canadian mining companies in developing regions such as Africa and Latin America. Next, Colin speaks with Ross Reid, a former Member of Parliament and Federal Minister, about how Canada can promote democracy and democratic institutions throughout the developing world.
The two papers mentioned in the Podcast are available at cgai.ca:
- "Can Canadian Mining Companies make a Difference in Africa?" by Andrew McAlister (www.cgai.ca/policy_review#Forei…Policy%20Collection)
- "How Should Canada Promote Democracy and Good Governance Internationally?" by Ross Reid (www.cgai.ca/policy_review#Forei…Policy%20Collection)
- Colin Robertson (host): A former Canadian diplomat, Colin Robertson is Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute and a Senior Advisor to Dentons LLP.
- Andrew McAlister: Former Ambassador to Tanzania and Madagascar. Now a consultant throughout the mining sector in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Ross Reid: Former Member of Canadian Parliament, former Federal Minister, as well as former Deputy Minister and Chief of Staff in Newfoundland and Labrador. Now involved in democracy development in more than 30 countries.