October 3, 2016
On today's 'Global Exchange' Podcast, join host Colin Robertson as he explores the ongoing Syrian conflict with two distinguished guests -- former Ambassadors Michael Bell and Rolf Holmboe.
What does instability in Syria mean for the Middle East at large? Who wants what out of the conflict? Does the West have a role to play in Syria's reconstruction? All this and more are discussed on this week's episode of 'The Global Exchange'.
- Colin Robertson (host): A former Canadian diplomat, Colin Robertson is Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute and a Senior Advisor to Dentons LLP.
- Michael Bell: a former Canadian Foreign Service Officer with 36 years experience in the Department of Foreign Affairs, mostly focused on the Middle East. He was Canada's Ambassador to Jordan (1987-90), Egypt (1994-98), and Israel (1990-92 and 1999- 2003).
- Rolf Holmboe: a Research Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute and a former Danish Ambassador to Syria, Lebanon and Jordan (2012-2015).
- Michael Bell: "The Fall of the Roman Empire: A New History"
- Rolf Holmboe: "Die schwarze Macht: Der »Islamische Staat« und die Strategen des Terrors (German)"
- Rolf Holmboe: "A new opening for peace in Syria"
- Michael Bell: "West must accept some painful realities to reach peace in Syria"
- Rolf Holmboe: "Syria: The Cost of Doing Nothing"