On today's special edition of the Global Exchange Podcast, we look at Canada's role in the North Korean crisis & continental ballistic missile defence. On this episode, Colin speaks with Marius Grinius and James Trottier about Canada's role in finding a solution to the crisis, how Canada can work with its regional partners, and whether we should join the United States' ballistic missile defence program.
- Colin Robertson (host): A former Canadian diplomat, Colin Robertson is Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute and a Senior Advisor to Dentons LLP.
- Marius Grinius: a former Canadian ambassador to South Korea (2004-2007) and concurrently to North Korea (2005-2007), is a fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- James Trottier:& a former Canadian diplomat who headed the political/economic program at the Canadian Embassy in Seoul, South Korea from 2013 to 2016. He was also accredited to North Korea and led four Canadian diplomatic delegations there. He is now a Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- "North Korea: A New Great Game" - by Marius Grinius (CGAI Policy Update)
- "Why Canada needs to revisit its stance on ballistic missile defence" - by Colin Robertson (The Globe and Mail)
- "Did Trump's Korea visit make things better or worse?" - by James Trottier (Ottawa Citizen)
- "How Canada can help solve the North Korea crisis" - by Marius Grinius (The Globe and Mail)
- "Some hard truths about dealing with North Korea" - by James Trottier (Ottawa Citizen)
- "North Korea is a nuclear state. Deal with it." - by Marius Grinius (iPolitics)
- "North Korea – war of words need not lead to real war" - by James Trottier (Ottawa Citizen)
- "Prepared Remarks before House of Commons Standing Committee on National Defence on 'Canada's Abilities to Defend Itself and its Allies in the Event of an Attack by North Korea on the North American Continent'" - by Colin Robertson, Andrea Charron & Rob Huebert (CGAI Testimony)
- Marius Grinius: “The Sympathizer” by Viet Thanh Nguyen
- James Trottier: “Mike's World: Lester B. Pearson and Canadian External Affairs” by Asa McKercher & Galen Roger Perras | “Ike's Bluff: President Eisenhower's Secret Battle to Save the World” by Evan Thomas | “Running on Empty: Canada and the Indochinese Refugees, 1975-1980” by Michael Molloy, Kurt Jensen, Peter Duschinsky & Robert Shalka