January 22, 2021
In this new episode of Defence Deconstructed, Dave Perry talks to Ian Mack, Dan Kerry, Dan Nussbaum, and Vrenti Ghergari about modern warship costing.
This episode is brought to you by the Department of National Defence’s MINDS Program, our strategic sponsors Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics, and BAE Systems
- Ian Mack Is a fellow with the CGAI, amongst other things, but his almost five decades of service to Canada culminated as a Director-General in DND’s Materiel Group, where he helped launch the NSPS, and then was responsible for the 3 RCN projects including CSC.
- Dan Kerry, with Deloitte Consulting, a seasoned management consultant who has focused on complex procurement, advanced costing, and decision support. His work on Life Cycle Costing included the UK’s Future Submarine Program, Queen Elizabeth Carrier, Type 26, and Offshore Patrol Vessel Programs, while in Canada, he led the delivery of the Costing of the Defence Policy Review and has advised DND and DFO on the National Shipbuilding Strategy.
- Dr. Dan Nussbaum is a faculty member in the Operations Research Department, the Engineering School and the Energy Academic Group at the Naval Postgraduate School, Dan Nussbaum provides several critical functions. He teaches courses in Cost Estimating and Analysis, provides Cost Estimating and Business Case Analyses for major governmental organizations.
- Vrenti Ghergari is the Director of Cost Analytics, an organization responsible for developing cost estimates for major capital projects and performing economic analysis at the Department of National Defence. He has a Bachelor of Commerce in Management Economics from the University of Guelph, a CPA, CMA designation, and is a Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst. Vrenti is a founding member of the ICEAA Canada Chapter.
- Dave Perry (host): Senior Analyst and Vice President with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute
Read Ian Mack’s Paper “Launching the Canadian Surface Combatant Project”