November 19, 2021
In this new episode of Defence Deconstructed, David Perry discusses the priorities for new Minister of National Defence Anita Anand with Dr. James Fergusson, Timothy Choi, and Charlotte Duval-Lantoine
Defence Deconstructed is brought to you by Irving Shipbuilding and Boeing.
- Dr. James Fergusson is a Professor in the Department of Political Studies, and Deputy Director of the Centre for Defence and Security Studies. He teaches a range of courses in the fields of international relations, strategic studies, Canada-US defence relations, and Canadian Foreign and Defence Policy. He recently completed a ten year appointment to the Defence Science Advisory Board, and a six year position as Honorary Colonel of the Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Studies. He is currently the Honorary Colonel of 2 Canadian Air Division.
- Timothy Choi is completing his Ph.D. at the University of Calgary's Centre for Military, Security and Strategic Studies, where his dissertation is entitled, “Maritime Strategies of the North: The Seapower of Smaller Maritime Forces in an Era of Broadened Security.” It asks how the Danish, Norwegian, and Canadian maritime forces developed in response to the adoption and legitimization of the 200 nautical mile exclusive economic zone, and whether smaller forces have generalizable differences in such responses compared to larger ones. This has seen him sailing with Danish and Norwegian patrol vessels to gain deeper insights into the tactical level of peacetime naval activities. He is a former Smith Richardson Predoctoral Fellow at Yale University's International Security Studies, where he worked with Professor Paul Kennedy, and is also a Research Fellow at Dalhousie University's Centre for the Study of Security and Development. He serves on the editorial board of and is the photo editor at the Canadian Naval Review.
- Charlotte Duval-Lantoine is the Ottawa Operations Manager and a Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. She completed a Master in Military History at Queen’s University, during which she started researching on the toxic culture of leadership in the Canadian Armed Forces during the 1990s and its impact on gender integration, which had started in 1989. She continues to study leadership and culture change issues in the military in her free time.
- Dave Perry: Senior Analyst and Vice President with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- "The Fearless Organization" by Amy Edmondson
- "All the Ships that Sail: A Study of Canada’s Fleets" by Gordon F. Osbaldeston
- "Stalin’s War: A New History of World War II" by Sean McMeekin