August 2, 2021
In this episode of The Global Exchange, Colin Robertson speaks to Dr. Jennifer Welsh and Dr. Roland Paris about promotion of democracies at home and abroad.
- Roland Paris is Professor of International Affairs in the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Ottawa, founding director of the Centre for International Policy Studies (CIPS), and former foreign and defence policy advisor to the Prime Minister of Canada. He is also an Associate Fellow of the Royal Institute of International Affairs (Chatham House).
- Professor Jennifer M. Welsh is the Canada 150 Research Chair in Global Governance and Security at McGill University (Montreal, Canada). She was previously Professor and Chair in International Relations at the European University Institute (Florence, Italy) and Professor in International Relations at the University of Oxford, where she co-founded the Oxford Institute for Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict. From 2013-2016, she served as the Special Adviser to the UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon, on the Responsibility to Protect.
Read Dr. Welsh and Paris’ op-ed in the Globe and Mail, "The world’s democracies, including Canada, face a historic choice".
- Colin Robertson is a former diplomat, and Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
R & R:
- "Homeland Elegies" by Ayad Akhtar
- "Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri
- "My Promised Land: The Triumph and Tragedy of Israel" by Ari Shavit
- "My Brilliant Friend" by Elena Ferrante
- "Wilderness and Rescue Medicine, 7th ed." by Jeffrey Isaac and David E. Johnson