March 21, 2022
In this episode of The Global Exchange, Colin Robertson speaks to former ambassadors to Russia Jeremy Kinsman, John Sloan, and Ralph Lysyshyn about Putin and Russia’s motivations behind its invasion of Ukraine.
- Jeremy Kinsman is distinguished Fellow of the Canadian International Council, has been the Distinguished Visiting Diplomat at Ryerson since 2010 after he left the Canadian Foreign Service in 2006, following 40 years of service. He had served as a Canadian Ambassador for 15 years, in Moscow (1992-96), in Rome (1996-2000) as High Commissioner in London (2000-2002), and as Ambassador to the EU in Brussels (2002-2006).
- John Sloan served as Canada’s ambassador to the Russian Federation, Armenia and Uzbekistan from August 2010 to September 2013.
- Ralph Lysyshyn last served as Canadian Ambassador to Russia (with accreditation to Armenia and Uzbekistan) from 2006 to 2010.
- Colin Robertson is a former diplomat, and Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
Read and Watch
- "Mr. Putin, Operative in the Kremlin" by Fiona Hill and Clifford G. Gaddy
- "More Than I Love My Life" by David Grossman
- "The Anomaly" by Hervé Le Tellier
- "Intimacies" by Katie Kitamura
- "State of Terror" by Hillary Rodham Clinton and Louise Penny
- "Venice Triumphant: The Horizon of a Myth" by Elisabeth Crouzet-Pavan