April 26, 2021
In this episode of The Global Exchange, Colin Robertson discusses the recent developments in China with Charles Parton and Ted Lipman .
- Charles Parton OBE is a Senior Associate Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute. Charles spent 22 years of his 37 year diplomatic career working in or on China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. In his final posting he was seconded to the EU Delegation in Beijing, where, as First Counsellor until late 2016, he focussed on Chinese politics and internal developments, and advised the EU and Member States on how China’s politics might affect their interests.
- Ted Lipman’s career has spanned over 40 years as an Asianist; in diplomacy, philanthropy, academia and culture. Highlights include appointments as Canadian Consul General in Shanghai, Minister/DCM in Beijing, Director/HOM of Canada’s trade office in Taipei, Director General for North Asia at Global Affairs HQ and Ted’s last diplomatic assignment, Canadian ambassador to both North and South Korea.
- Colin Robertson is a former diplomat, and Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
Read Charlie’s and Ted’s writing:
- “What the Chinese Communist Party wants from the United Kingdom” by Charles Parton
- “Towards a UK strategy and policies on relations with China” by Charles Parton
- “Beijing and Ottawa need to understand they won’t see eye to eye” by Ted Lipman
What the guests are enjoying right now:
- "Invisible China: How the Urban-Rural Divide Threatens China’s Rise" by Scott Rozelle and Natalie Hell
- "The Complete Writings of Thucydides: The Peloponnesian War" by Thucydides
- "Cold Mountains Poems" by Han SHan, translated by J.P. Seaton
Showing 2 reactions
Sign in with