August 5, 2020
In the 30th episode of Battle Rhythm, Steve and our guest co-host, Alvine Nintai discuss her time as CDSN’s first official staff member, the retirement of announcement of General Jon Vance, and troop reduction in Iraq and Germany. We have an emerging scholar interview this week with Maj T.J. Kelley [24:00], discussing his paper “Correlation of Military Trade with Selection of General and Flag Officers.” which was short-listed for JCSP 46, the Brigadier-General George Bell Medal in recognition of commitment and excellence in military writing as displayed by a student on the Joint Command and Staff Programme. Our feature interview guests are Justin Massie & Stéfanie von Hlatky [34:30], Co-directors of Réseau d'analyse stratégique. This week’s RnR segment [54:00], where we will provide some levity in these trying times with entertainment reviews and suggestions.
This week’s RnR picks:
1. Caitlin Talmadge’s The Dictator's Army
2. Star Wars Rebels;
Find detailed show notes here: www.cdsn-rcds.com/battlerhythm
- Alvine Nintai: Ph.D. Student in International Affairs at Carleton University. Her research focuses on international cooperation with an emphasis on economic institutions.
- Maj T.J. Kelley: Deputy Commanding Officer, Mapping and Charting Establishment with the Canadian Armed Forces as well as an MA candidate at the Canadian Forces College Joint Command and Staff Programme (JCSP).
- Justin Massie: Associate Professor of political science at the Université du Québec à Montréal and Co-Director of the Network for Strategic Analysis. His research focuses on the global power transition, multinational military coalitions, and Canadian foreign and defence policy.
- Stéfanie von Hlatky: associate professor of political studies at Queen’s University and Director of the Centre for International and Defence Policy (CIDP). Stéfanie von Hlatky is the founder of Women in International Security-Canada, the Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel at the Princess of Wales’ Own Regiment and the co-host of the security and defence podcast Battle Rhythm.