May 21, 2018
On today's Global Exchange Podcast, we touch base with CGAI's North American trade experts in light of a busy week on the NAFTA file in Washington. After months of hard-pressed negotiations, and 6 weeks of 'perpetual' discussions in Washington, the deal has reached its next turning point, with Congressional leadership signalling that they'd need a new deal by May 17th in order to have it passed before U.S. mid-term elections in the Fall. With no deal in sight, and the Congressional deadline now in the rear-view mirror, we sit down with Sarah Goldfeder, Laura Dawson, and Eric Miller to ask where we go from here.
- Colin Robertson (host): A former Canadian diplomat, Colin Robertson is Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- Laura Dawson: the Director of the Wilson Center’s Canada Institute, is one of the world’s leading experts on political and economic relations between the U.S. and its northern neighbour. She is a member of CGAI's Advisory Council.
- Sarah Goldfeder: a Principal at the Earnscliffe Strategy Group and a Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- Eric Miller: a Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute and the President of Rideau Potomac Strategy Group, a cross-border consultancy that advises clients on government affairs, economics, cybersecurity and geopolitical developments.
- "Managing Trump: The Canadian Response" - by Colin Robertson (CGAI Policy Update)
- "What Should Canada’s Aims be in Any Renegotiation of NAFTA? (Win)" - by Sarah Goldfeder (CGAI Policy Paper)
- Laura Dawson: “Lightning Men: A Novel” by Thomas Mullen
- Sarah Goldfeder: “American War: A Novel” by Omar El Akkad
- Eric Miller: “Midnight's Furies: The Deadly Legacy of India's Partition” by Nisid Hajari