June 15, 2017
On today's episode of The Global Exchange Podcast, we look back to CGAI's May 2nd conference entitled 'A World in Disarray: What Role for Canada?'. Join Colin in conversation with three of Canada's most prolific public figures -- John Manley, Bob Rae, and Jean Charest -- for a conversation on the state of the world in light of Brexit and the Trump Presidency, and what role Canada can play moving forward.
- Colin Robertson (host): A former Canadian diplomat and Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute and a Senior Advisor to Dentons LLP.
- The Hon. John Manley: President and Chief Executive Officer of the Business Council of Canada. Mr. Manley is a former Deputy Prime Minister of Canada. He was first elected to Parliament in 1988, and re-elected three times. From 1993 to 2003 he was a Minister in the governments of Jean Chrétien, serving in the portfolios of Industry, Foreign Affairs and Finance, in addition to being Deputy Prime Minister.
- The Hon. Bob Rae: a senior partner at Olthuis Kleer Townshend LLP, where he works with First Nations across Canada as legal counsel, advisor, and negotiator. He served as Ontario's 21st Premier from 1990 to 1995 and Interim Federal Leader of the Liberal Party in 2011- 2013.
- The Hon. Jean Charest: As Deputy Prime Minister of Canada and Premier of Québec, Jean Charest is one of Canada’s best known political figures. As Minister of the Environment, he led his country’s delegation at the 1992 Earth Summit on the economy and the environment in Rio and was praised for his leadership role among G7 countries on climate change and biodiversity.
- "Conferences 2017 - May 2 World in Disarray Conference Overview"
- "How a Trump presidency would affect Canada’s economy" - Matt Lundy (The Globe and Mail)
- "A 'hard Brexit' creates uncertainty for Canada on what's next for trade" - Janyce McGregor (CBC News)