June 1, 2017
On today's "Global Exchange" Podcast, CGAI Fellows Dave Perry, Julian Lindley-French, and Gary Soroka join host Colin Robertson to analyze Donald Trump's first NATO and G7 Summits. Join Colin and his guests for a review of Canada's role at the two meetings, a frank perspective on Trump's inaugural performance, as well as the impending implications for the rest of the Western world.
- Colin Robertson (host): A former Canadian diplomat and Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute and a Senior Advisor to Dentons LLP.
- David Perry: Fellow and Senior Analyst with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. Was previously the Senior Security and Defence Analyst of the Conference of Defence Associations Institute and the Deputy Director of Dalhousie University’s Centre for Foreign Policy Studies where he remains a fellow.
- Julian Lindley-French: Vice-President of the Atlantic Treaty Association, Senior Fellow of the Institute of Statecraft, Director of Europe Analytica & Distinguished Visiting Research Fellow, National Defense University, Washington DC. He is also a CGAI Fellow.
- Gary Soroka: Fellow with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. In 1976, he joined the Department of External Affairs and held a number of positions in Ottawa and at Canadian missions abroad. He spent most of his career as a specialist in the area of foreign policy before retiring in 2009.
- David Perry - "NATO and the North Atlantic: Revitalising Collective Defence" - Edited by John Andreas Olsen
- Julian Lindley-French - "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" - Edward Gibbon
- Gary Soroka - "The People and the Books" - Adam Kirsch
- “A Primer to the Brussels NATO Summit” – Colin Robertson (CGAI Policy Update)
- “NATO: Countering Strategic Maskirovka” – Julian Lindley-French (CGAI Policy Paper)
- “Growing the Defence Budget: What Would Two Percent of GDP Look Like?” – J. Craig Stone (CGAI Policy Update)
- "Canada’s Greatest Threat: How to Mitigate Dangers of Free-Riding” – Blae Hansen (CGAI Policy Update)
- “The Year of Our Discontent: A Snapshot From Berlin” – Gary Soroka (CGAI Policy Paper)
- “The Trouble(s) with Turkey: Turkey and NATO” – Ann Griffiths (CGAI Policy Update)
- “Is NATO Still Necessary for Canada?” – J.L. Granatstein (CGAI Policy Paper)
- “Judy Asks: Is NATO Ready for Trump?” – Judy Dempsey (Carnegie Europe)
- “U.S. views on NATO polarized while allied support climbs” – Murray Brewster (CBC News)
- “Trudeau says Canada will keep sharing intelligence amid U.S. controversies” – (The Canadian Press)
- “Trudeau touts Canada’s terror fight as Trump pushes NATO to do more” – Robert Fife (The Globe and Mail)