January 4, 2018
On today's Global Exchange Podcast, we look at Canada's defence procurement process, and why the system is so notoriously broken. Join host Dave Perry in conversation with CGAI Fellow Tom Ring as they discuss the history of Canadian defence procurement, the various attempts at departmental reform, and the problems plaguing the current system, with specific emphasis on the National Shipbuilding Strategy and the ongoing CF-18 replacement.
- Dave Perry (host): Senior Analyst and Vice President with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. He received his PhD in political science from Carleton University, where his dissertation examined the link between defence budgeting and defence procurement.
- Tom Ring: A Canadian Global Affairs Institute Fellow and former Assistant Deputy Minister (Acquisitions) at Public Works and Government Services Canada, as well as former Assistant Deputy Minister (Public Affairs) at the Department of National Defence.
- "The National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy: How did we get to where we are now" by Tom Ring (CGAI Policy Update)
- "2016 Status Report on Major Equipment Procurement" by Dave Perry (CGAI/SPP Policy Paper)
- "Gaming the CF-18 Fighter Replacement: The Politicizing of a Military Procurement" by Al Stephenson (CGAI Policy Update)
- Tom Ring: Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child