December 5, 2017
On today's Global Exchange Podcast, we look at Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's second visit to China, and what it means for that Canada-China relationship. Join Colin in conversation with Rob Wright, Hugh Stephens & Randolph Mank for an in-depth discussion on the possibility of a Canada-China free-trade agreement, the implications of a China visit on Canada's position in CPTPP & NATFA, as well as the broad development of a strong bilateral relationship between the Trudeau and Jinping governments.
- Colin Robertson (host): A former Canadian diplomat, Colin Robertson is Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute and a Senior Advisor to Dentons LLP.
- Randolph Mank: a three-time former Canadian ambassador and businessman, with over thirty years of experience in Asia and around the world. His foreign service career included assignments in Tokyo, Stockholm and Jakarta, followed by Ambassadorial appointments in Indonesia (2003-06), Pakistan (2008-10) and Malaysia (2010-12). He is a Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- Hugh Stephens: Mr. Stephens has more than 35 years of government and business experience in the Asia-Pacific region. Based in Victoria, BC, Canada, he is currently Executive-in-Residence at the Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada and Vice Chair of the Canadian Committee for Pacific Economic Cooperation (CanCPEC). He is also a CGAI Fellow.
- Rob Wright: Rob Wright served as Canadian Ambassador to China from 2005-2009. He served as Ambassador to Japan from 2001-2005. From 1995-2001 he was Canadian Deputy Minister for International Trade. He is a member of the CGAI Advisory Council.
- "After the TPP: What’s Next for Canada in Asia?" - by Hugh Stephens (CGAI Policy Paper)
- "A World Larger Than Trump’s: China’s" - by Ferry de Kerckhove (CGAI Policy Paper)
- "With no formal trade talks, Trudeau leaves international trade minister in Beijing" - by Chris Hall (CBC News)
- "Trudeau says trade with China an answer to rising populism" - by Mike Blanchfield (The Canadian Press)
- Randolph Mank: “This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking” by John Brockman
- Hugh Stephens: “Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, and One Man’s Fight for Justice” by Bill Browder
- Rob Wright: “The Silk Roads: A New History of the World” by Peter Frankopan