July 16, 2021
In this new episode of Defence Deconstructed, David Perry speaks to Alan Stephenson, Pierre St-Amand, Mike Holmes, and John Venable about the role of fighter aircraft in the defence of the continent.
This episode was made possible thanks to the Department of National Defence MINDS Programme, Boeing, and our strategic sponsors Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics
Defence Deconstructed is brought to you by Irving Shipbuilding. A strategic partner of the federal government’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, providing skilled, well-paying jobs that support Canada’s economic recovery.
Defence Deconstructed is also brought to you by Boeing.
- Colonel (ret'd) Alan Stephenson, PhD is an aviation consultant and a 35-year veteran of the Canadian Forces, and a CGAI Fellow.
- Lieutenant-General (ret'd) Pierre St-Amand joined the Canadian Armed Forces in June 1981. Upon promotion to lieutenant-general in July 2015, he was appointed NORAD Deputy Commander and Commander of Canadian Element NORAD. After 37 years of service in the Canadian Forces, LGen St-Amand retired in July 2018. Since retiring from the CAF, he has been consulting on matters of security, leadership, and strategic planning.
- General (Ret.) Mike Holmes brings a unique set of skills to The Roosevelt Group and its clients after 40 years in the Air Force. Prior to his retirement, General Holmes served as the Commander of Air Combat Command. Heretired from the Air Force in October 2020 after nearly 40 years of service. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, an adjunct fellow at the Center for a New American Security, a senior advisor at The Roosevelt Group, the Chairman of the Board at Red 6, and advises several defense and tech companies.
- Colonel (Ret.) John Venable has built and led individuals, teams, and organizations at the highest ends of performance and risk, in just about every leadership role you can imagine. He is a graduate of the US Air Force Fighter Weapons School (Top Gun). In perhaps his most notable role, JV served as the Commander and Demonstration Leader of the US Air Force Thunderbirds. He is the author of the book “Breaking the Trust Barrier,” is an active leadership coach and currently serves as a Senior Research Fellow for air and space issues at The Heritage Foundation.
- Dave Perry: Senior Analyst and Vice President with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.