August 23, 2021
In this episode of The Global Exchange, Colin Robertson speaks to The Hon. John Manley, Dr. Chris Waddell, Dr. Ian Brodie, and Peter Donolo about the place of global affairs in Canadian elections.
- The Honourable John Manley, P.C., O.C., is the chair of CGAI’s Advisory Council. Mr. Manley is a former Deputy Prime Minister of Canada. He was first elected to Parliament in 1988, and re-elected three times. From 1993 to 2003 he was a Minister in the governments of Jean Chrétien, serving in the portfolios of Industry, Foreign Affairs and Finance, in addition to being Deputy Prime Minister. An Officer of the Order of Canada, Mr. Manley has received honorary doctorates from Carleton University and the universities of Ottawa, Toronto, Western Ontario and Windsor.
Christopher Waddell is an associate professor and director of Carleton University’s School of Journalism and Communication in Ottawa. He also holds the school’s Carty Chair in Business and Financial Journalism.
He joined Carleton in July 2001 after 10 years at CBC Television News. From 1993 to 2001, he was the network's Parliamentary Bureau Chief in Ottawa. From 1995 to 2001 he was also Executive Producer News Specials for CBC Television, responsible for all national news specials and federal and provincial election and election night coverage during those years.
- Peter Donolo is a senior adviser to H+K’s senior management and to its clients – focusing on strategic communications and public engagement. . Peter was most recently special adviser to the Ontario government on intergovernmental affairs and communications. He is the longest-serving prime ministerial director of communications in Canadian history (to Prime Minister Jean Chrétien), served as a senior executive in the private and public sectors, and also represented Canada abroad as a senior diplomat.
- Ian Brodie is an associate professor of political science at the University of Calgary. From 2006 to 2008, Brodie worked as the Chief of Staff for Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- Colin Robertson is a former diplomat, and Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
R & R:
- "Leadership: In Turbulent Times" by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- "The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965" by Paul Reid and William Manchester
- "Peggy and the Pilgrim" by Lyn Cook
- "East West Street: On the Origins of "Genocide" and "Crimes Against Humanity"" by Philippe Sands
- "Crisis of the House Divided: An Interpretation of the Issues in the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, 50th Anniversary Edition" by Harry V. Jaffa