July 5, 2021
In this episode of The Global Exchange, Colin Robertson speaks to Phil Calvert and John Gruetzner on how to improve Canada-China relations.
- Philip Calvert is a Senior Fellow with the China Institute of the University of Alberta. He served in Beijing as a Trade Commissioner (1984-87), Economic Counsellor (1994-1997) and Minister & Deputy Head of Mission (2004-2008). In Global Affair Canada he served as Director General for North Asia, Deputy Chief Negotiator for Canada during China's accession to the WTO and as Director of the Technical Barriers to Trade Division. Most recently he spent 2012-2016 as Canada's ambassador to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos.
- John Gruetzner is currently working out of Canada and responsible for international business development for Canadian–based technology firm Syngrafii Inc. He is also the co-founder of Intercedent, a business and investment advisory firm founded in 1988 focused on Asia and remains involved.
- Colin Robertson is a former diplomat, and Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
Read the series of papers edited by Phil Calvert and John Gruetzner: "An Assessment of 50 Years of Canada-China Relations".
R & R:
- "China’s Civilian Army: The Making of World Warrior Diplomacy" by Peter Martin
- "The Crack-up" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- "The Chinese Communist Party: a Century in Ten Lives" by Timothy Cheek (ed.)
- "Go Tell It on the Mountain" by James Baldwin