November 1, 2021
In this episode of The Global Exchange, Colin Robertson speaks to The Honourable John Manley and The Honourable Peter MacKay as they outline what Canada’s Foreign Minister, Mélanie Joly, should expect from her new role.
- The Honourable John Manley, P.C., O.C. is a former Deputy Prime Minister of Canada. He was first elected to Parliament in 1988, and re-elected three times. From 1993 to 2003 he was a Minister in the governments of Jean Chrétien, serving in the portfolios of Industry, Foreign Affairs and Finance, in addition to being Deputy Prime Minister. Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, Mr. Manley was named Chair of a Cabinet Committee on Public Security and Anti-terrorism, serving as counterpart to Governor Tom Ridge, the first U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security. In recognition of the role he played following 9/11, TIME Canada named him "2001 Newsmaker of the Year". After a 16-year career in politics, Mr. Manley returned to the private sector in 2004. Since leaving government, Mr. Manley has continued to be active in public policy, as a media commentator, speaker and adviser to governments of differing political stripes. An Officer of the Order of Canada, Mr. Manley has received honorary doctorates from Carleton University and the universities of Ottawa, Toronto, Western Ontario and Windsor.
- The Honourable Peter MacKay served in the Parliament of Canada for over 18 years as a cabinet minister in high-profile portfolios, including Justice and Attorney General, Department of National Defense, Foreign Affairs and the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency. He chaired the Government National Security Committee for almost 10 years. He started his legal career in Nova Scotia as a Crown Prosecutor (Criminal Law Division) and worked as a general practitioner before entering politics. Peter earned a B.A. from Acadia University in 1987, and his LL.B. from Dalhousie University in 1990. He is entering his 30th year as a member of the Nova Scotia Barristers Society and is also called to the bar in Ontario. Peter has tremendous leadership experience as a former senior cabinet minister in the country's federal government. While at the helm of critical government portfolios, he confronted issues of national importance with pragmatism and resourcefulness—working diligently and passionately to strengthen the country for all Canadians. He will continue to be a champion of our country's future as a thriving nation and we're pleased to welcome him to the firm.Peter also serves on the National Board of Special Olympics Canada, Wounded Warriors Canada , and chaired at Boost , a child and youth advocacy organization. He has been a long time supported of Big Brothers , Big Sisters.
- Colin Robertson is a former diplomat, and Vice President of the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
- "The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, vol. 3: Defender of the Realm" by William Manchester and Paul Reid
- "The Splendid and The Vile" by Erik Larson