May 7, 2021
In this new episode of Defence Deconstructed, David Perry speaks to Bibi Imre-Millei and CGAI Fellow Charlotte Duval-Lantoine about how to address sexual misconduct in the Canadian Military
This podcast is brought to you by Irving Shipbuilding. A strategic partner of the federal government’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, providing skilled, well-paying jobs that support Canada’s economic recovery.
- Bibi Imre-Millei is an MA student in Sociology at Queen’s University researching theoretical and methodological approaches to swarm drones in the Media, Information and Surveillance Stream. In 2020 she graduated from an MA in political studies with a thesis on biometrics in Iraq and Afghanistan also from Queen’s. Since 2019, Bibi has worked as the Project Coordinator for the Gender Lab at the Centre for International and Defence Policy (CIDP) where she researches gender in the Canadian military and helps manage the Gender Lab’s grants and team. Bibi is the mentorship coordinator with the Queen’s Chapter of Women In International Security (WIIS), and the Assistant to the Executive Director for the national branch WIIS-Canada.
- Charlotte Duval-Lantoine is the Ottawa Operations Manager and a Fellow at the Canadian Global Affairs Institute. She completed a Master in Military History at Queen’s University, during which she started researching on the toxic culture of leadership in the Canadian Armed Forces during the 1990s and its impact on gender integration, which had started in 1989. She continues to study leadership and culture change issues in the military in her free time. She has also worked as a research assistant and translator on projects about gender mainstreaming and integration in NATO Armed Forces, and on the gendered dimension of veteran transition at Queen's University Center for International and Defence Policy (CIDP).
- Dave Perry (host): Senior Analyst and Vice President with the Canadian Global Affairs Institute.
What the guests are reading:
- "About the Somalia Commission of Inquiry" by Richard Foot
- "Predator Empire: Drone Warfare and Full Spectrum Dominance" by Ian G.R. Shaw